Household electronics are smaller than ever. While devices such as mini remote controls, car key fobs and flameless candles are convenient and portable, they also pose an often unknown risk to young children. Many contain button batteries that can cause serious injury when swallowed. Children age 4 and under are at greatest risk.
If a button battery becomes stuck in the esophagus, while there may not be immediate symptoms, a chemical reaction can cause it to burn through the tissue in as little as two hours. Repair often requires multiple surgeries and ongoing medical care.
If you know or suspect that a child has swallowed a coin lithium battery, go to the emergency room immediately.